Why do people love South Africa as a honeymoon destination?
South Africa is the perfect destination to suit all types of honeymooners, thanks to the abundant amount of activities it has to offer. It is the perfect destination for an unforgettable honeymoon and for those looking for more than just a beach getaway. Where else can you go from wine tasting in the vineyards of Franschhoek, to shark diving off the coast of Hermanus, and then gazing upon a pride of lions on a Big Five Safari in Kruger National Park. The added bonus of a South African honeymoon is incredible value for money. Dine in top quality restaurants and stay in five star resorts while only spending a third of what you would pay elsewhere. The value of the Rand against the euro is very good at the moment so you can be guaranteed more bang for your buck.
We spoke to Hayes & Jarvis, the experts in long haul travel, to tell us more about a South African Honeymoon.
- Safari – South Africa has some of the best game reserves in the world
- Majestic Table Mountain
- The lively Victoria and Alfred Waterfront
- Visit the Cape of Good Hope
- Drive the Garden Route – one of the world’s best self-drives
- A sunset cruise out into Table Bay with views of the stunning Table Mountain and Robben Island, while you sip on a glass of bubbly. Continue your evening with a meal at one of the amazing restaurants on offer at the V&A Waterfront.
- Sunset cable car up Table Mountain – Watch the sunset at Table Mountain and experience some amazing views, there is nothing quite like it.
- Experience dinner under the stars on top of a stunning treehouse at Lion Sands Game Reserve.
Things to see and do on a South African Honeymoon
- Table mountain by cable car
- Robben Island and the District Six Museum
- Boulders Beach
- Delicious locally produced wines
- Numerous vinyards to explore
- Home to a diverse pool of wildlife, including the Big Five
- Includes some of the best beaches in South Africa
- One of the world’s best self-drives
- Beautiful coastlines
- Helicopter Tour of the Cape
- Paragliding off Lions head
- Shark Cage Diving
- Whale Watching
- Bungee Jumping, Segway Tours, Rafting in Tsitsikamma National Park
Tips for a perfect South African Honeymoon
- Cape Town: Book Robben Island and Table Mountain in advance, it will save you queueing for the ticket and then queueing again in the lines
- Safari: Bring a warm jacket as early in the morning and late in the evening when the sun goes down it gets very cool
- Hermanus: You should definitely stay two nights in order to be able to see what you need to see and not feel rushed – whale watching or shark diving takes up one full afternoon so if you only stay the night before then you have to leave in the afternoon after the trip
- Eastern Cape is great for Safaris as it’s malaria-free
- Garden Route very easy to do but can be a bit hilly so make sure to hire a good car
- There is so much to see and do in South Africa, you may struggle to fit it all in! Mix a city break to Cape Town with a tour of the vast wine estates in the surrounding Cape Winelands, a self-drive along the Garden Route or a safari in Kruger National Park.